What games absolutely should've gotten an expansion and what games got an expansion, but would've been better without it?

So first part is what game you would have loved to see an expansion for, but sadly did not receive one.
I would love to see an expansion for Anno 1800. The game has a lot of potential, but I would like to see some added complexity/mechanics/alternate end game/various adjustments for balancing. The video game series is incredible, so there is a lot of stuff that should still be able to translate onto a board game format IMO.

It was previously announced an expansion in the work, but it seems to have gone cold as the expansion was supposedly ready for release over 1,5 years ago.. Then nothing. Hopefully it will eventually happen..

Second part is what game did get an expansion, but it just made the game worse (or side-grade at best), so it would have been better without it.
I see some saying they are cautious about expansions, as they can often add complexity or bloat that doesn't actually improve on the core game in a positive manner. Though personally I have not experienced this.
Have you? I would love to hear any input here :)

This is a question thread, which mean you can vote on answers that you feel align with your own opinion/was a good answer.

I would say that Last Bastion is a game that could have been a good target for an expansion. I feel that the weak points of the game could be ironed out with a solid expansion.

Other than that, I usually don't play with expansions. I prefer the easier vanilla experience.

Upvote 1
  • Admin
Other than that, I usually don't play with expansions. I prefer the easier vanilla experience.

Definitely a valid opinion. Some expansions can dilute the game, and just add bloat instead of valuably new additions.

I would say that Last Bastion is a game that could have been a good target for an expansion. I feel that the weak points of the game could be ironed out with a solid expansion.

Game looks interesting, haven't heard about it before!

What shortcomings would you have like to see addressed? Or new content additions that would fit.

Upvote 1
Definitely a valid opinion. Some expansions can dilute the game, and just add bloat instead of valuably new additions.

Game looks interesting, haven't heard about it before!

What shortcomings would you have like to see addressed? Or new content additions that would fit.
Last Bastion puts a lot of pressure on players. You basically don't win. You try to survive until the end.

It matches the theme pretty well: you try to survive the assault as long as possible.

Some power-ups could have been fun in order to alleviate the pressure.

Upvote 1
  • Admin
Last Bastion puts a lot of pressure on players. You basically don't win. You try to survive until the end.

It matches the theme pretty well: you try to survive the assault as long as possible.

Some power-ups could have been fun in order to alleviate the pressure.

LOL, sounds pretty rough! Hard games can be fun sometimes though, as long as people are prepared.. :)

Looks like it features dices. I imagine there is little to no luck mitigation, which may cause the game to be pretty punishing with poor rolls? If so, is this something you'd want to see in a potential expansion? (or could this be combined with some nice power-ups).

Upvote 0
LOL, sounds pretty rough! Hard games can be fun sometimes though, as long as people are prepared.. :)

Looks like it features dices. I imagine there is little to no luck mitigation, which may cause the game to be pretty punishing with poor rolls? If so, is this something you'd want to see in a potential expansion? (or could this be combined with some nice power-ups).
Actually there *is* luck mitigation, but it's expensive. You basically must give up you turn in order to gain it.

I imagine an expansion where you have new characters with new variable powers.

Upvote 1
Back
Top Bottom