Crowdfunding What was your biggest crowdfund fail and success?

As per the title. What turned out to be a fantastic game, and what was a complete fail?

For me, the biggest flop was Nocturion. Decent art, boring gameplay. Terrible rulebook. Lots of checking in the rules and discussing if it was allowed or not... Just nothing I liked about it, a real slog. Dodges the lowest rating as it has decent art mostly. 2/6. Tried sold after first play, but no buyers lol. I've had others from KS backings that was "OK", but that was the only one that I found to be just bad.

For upsides, I was really happy with Waste Knights Second Edition and Valor & Villainy. Just phenomenal games that has seen a lot of play in our group :) Coop/Comp (WK) and one vs many (V&V). Both features characters and RPG elements with upgradeable dices. But overall they are very different games once you dive into it. Waiting for the successor to Valor now, as well as the first expansion for Waste!

[Game=10][/Game]

[Game=7][/Game]

The biggest success for me was Vindication, firmly up on my top 3 ever since I received it. There is a lot of ways to victory and love the card play and the resource management.

My biggest fail is probably Unbroken. The game isn't bad, but I think everyone has heard the legend of Golden Bell STudios and the delivery issues this game had(and probably still have)😅

• Admin
The biggest success for me was Vindication, firmly up on my top 3 ever since I received it. There is a lot of ways to victory and love the card play and the resource management.

My biggest fail is probably Unbroken. The game isn't bad, but I think everyone has heard the legend of Golden Bell STudios and the delivery issues this game had(and probably still have)😅

Ah yes, the legendary Golden Bell Studios :p
Some intel for those who are not familiar: https://thetabletoptribune.com/how-golden-bell-broke-its-reputation-with-the-tabletop-community/

But the game is decent enough? What would you rate it?

• Admin
True. the game isn't bad so I really feel for the designer. He got royally sc***ed over.
Haven't played it that many times, but would probably give it about a 7 on BGG. Will have to have some more plays before properly rating it.

Yeah its really sad for the designers who got themselves involved with GBS before they knew..
7 is a decent game though, shame. :/

Likewise Grey Fox Games is also another company I can advise AGAINST backing games by. They let a reprint get 1.5 years delayed because they were cheap and wanted to pool together three different campaigns on the same containers to save money. Lies and promises that were delivered through the campaign.. Even hosted a small campaign to fund more money for shipping, if you wanted to be sure of getting the game anytime soon. Avoid.

My biggest success must have been Gloomhaven. This was the 2nd printing and I was just hearing about Kickstarter. I decided to make the jump even though I thought the risks of not receiving the game was pretty high (as it's turned out the risk is very low in my experience).

My worst experience was with Dark Souls: The Board Game. I late pledged this one, and overreached in the pledge manager buying most of the big bosses. The game was just too repetitive and luck-dependant, and only house-rules could elevate it to decent. I've even kept buying and hoping for some sort of gameplay salvation (insert image of money flying out the window here...).
Notable contenders:
- Unbroken (mentioned by Hubbe)
- BuildOne 3D-printer, which was never received and the procject is deserted.

• Admin
My biggest success must have been Gloomhaven. This was the 2nd printing and I was just hearing about Kickstarter. I decided to make the jump even though I thought the risks of not receiving the game was pretty high (as it's turned out the risk is very low in my experience).

My worst experience was with Dark Souls: The Board Game. I late pledged this one, and overreached in the pledge manager buying most of the big bosses. The game was just too repetitive and luck-dependant, and only house-rules could elevate it to decent. I've even kept buying and hoping for some sort of gameplay salvation (insert image of money flying out the window here...).
Notable contenders:
- Unbroken (mentioned by Hubbe)
- BuildOne 3D-printer, which was never received and the procject is deserted.

Shame about Dark Souls :\ The game LOOKS cool, but it doesn't help much if the gameplay is boring and too luck-dependant.
But thankfully the amount of games that turn out good, are usually far more than the ones that turn out bad or disappointing.

Didn't know about the Buildone printer thing, so had to google it.. That's really annoying, but did you get a refund @terpal ? I was looking at the KS comments and seems like a lot of people had recently (last couple of weeks) started to get some refunds.

My only Kickstarter experience was with "Mercado de Lisboa". Lacerda, what could go wrong?

The game was delivered, but it was a complete miss for my group. I managed to resell it at a good price.

Yes always unfortunate getting games that does not work in your local group. And especially if you yourself LIKE the game, but none else does :p

Back
Top Bottom